[glibrary] Thomas Wartonand the Dying Indian

F.W.Dame f.w.dame at web.de
Tue Apr 11 04:51:19 PDT 2006

Dear Sir(s), Ms.

I do not know if this is an error.  However, the date is up to conjecture.  Therefore, I am writing you.  Can you help me out in specifying the correct date ref. the following?

On the internet page http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu/gutenberg/etext06/8lbp310.txt you write that while at Oriel College the British poet and literary critic Joseph Warton, (1722-1800) wrote his poems The Enthusiast and The Dying Indian.  I am presently interested in The Dying Indian.  That poem was first published in 1755 in Dodsley's A Collection of Poems, IV (1755)  I do now doubt the possibility that Warton wrote the poem in 1744, but I would like to know what is your source for claiming that the poem was written in 1744, when Joseph Warton was 22 years old?

Perhaps ypou can refer me to an expert on the subject if it is impossible for you to clarify the answer to the question.

I thank you for your time and co-operation

Frederick W. Dame