[gmonthly] !@! Newsletter Missing A Portion

Michael S. Hart hart at pglaf.org
Tue Dec 21 14:29:26 PST 2010

My apologies, the following portion is missing from the Newsletter
that was sent out a few hours ago:

While I must say I would like to expect something more
from The Journal Science, I am pleased to find that it
gives some background support in terms of how history,
present and past, is ignored more and more quickly and
thus explains the entire fixation our society has with
the idea that things are getting more ADD and ADHD.

When it comes right down to it, this study indicates a
lot of our society has been more and more ADD when the
subject comes to remembering the past, not just when a
current generation is measured, but also back to 1973,
and probably a lot longer.

I believe that there is some truth to what some people
say about there being too much information today, that
no one can really get a handle on it, that they should
be expected to have to depend on others, professionals
of some nature, to pick and choose, and evaluate great
amounts of information and then say what to look at.

However, that being said, I must repeat that I said it
was "some truth" and that an even larger worry will be
the certainly that these choices will be biased, even,
as scientifically proven ad nauseum, the most honest a
person can hope for can be hired for such purposes.

Even those who intend to be impartial have biases, and
cannot help but pass them along.

Then, on top of that, we must consider that most media
professionals are not this honest to begin with.

However, I really do like the idea of having databases
of everything ever written, or whatever.

What I don't like, of course, is that there is LIMITED
ACCESS to them, even the public domain part.

Of course, by 2100 there won't be enouhg public domain
for that to be a consideration.

You can pursue further details at:

http://chronicle.com/article/Scholars-Elicit-a-Cultural
/125731/?sid=pm&utm_source=pm&utm_medium=en

PROJECT GUTENBERG MAKES THE NEWS WITH OPRAH'S BOOK CLUB

After all these years, Oprah finally made a selection--
actually a pair of selections--from the public domain:

"A Tale Of Two Cities" and "Great Expectations" both by
Charles Dickens and available for years from PG and all
the other eBook distributors who use our materials.

In fact Tale Of Two Cities was one of our first 100 and
is frequently on our Top 100 Downloads List.

The Associated Press and their subscribers seem to give
Project Gutenberg some credit for the fact that a sales
figure for this combined edition by Penguin is not up a
lot higher than it's current 43rd position.

I don't expect Oprah to make do any more public domain,
as I think her selections have been more about the cash
than the materials.  I am evenly split on these two, as
I hated Great Expectations, loved Tale of Two Cities.

///

My apologies, a correct version will be downloadable,
or just let me know and I will send one directly.

Michael