[gmonthly] Project Gutenberg Newsletter March-June 2017

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Wed Jul 5 19:24:00 PDT 2017

This is the Project Gutenberg Newsletter for March-June 2017

CONTENTS

* Project Gutenberg turns 46!
* Danger: Net Neutrality is under Attack (again)
* NAFTA may seek Copyright Term Extensions in Canada
* New Creative Commons eBook
* Join Distributed Proofreaders
* Find Project Gutenberg on social media
* News items wanted!
* New eBook listings from March-June 2017

* Project Gutenberg turns 46!

July 4, 2017 was the 46th birthday of Project Gutenberg.  On July 4, 1971, founder Michael S. Hart typed the U.S. Declaration of Independence (now available at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1).  Michael worked tirelessly to make the world's great literature freely available in electronic form.  Today, eBooks are a mainstay of the human experience with literature and content of all types.

* Danger: Net Neutrality is under Attack (again)

July 12 is a day of action.  See https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/#join to learn about renewed interest by the FCC in removing "net neutrality."  This could make your Project Gutenberg downloads, and other Internet activities, much slower - at the whims of Internet providers.

* NAFTA may seek Copyright Term Extensions in Canada

It now appears that the US copyright lobby will attempt to use NAFTA to force LIfe+70 on the people of Canada and descendants.  Additional changes could change the balance against fair use.  For more information, see: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2017/06/naftacopyrightcomments/

The Canadian government is currently inviting public comment, with an end date of July 18th:  http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/consultations/nafta-alena/info.aspx

It would be helpful to have as many Canadians as possible submit comments opposing copyright extensions, or indeed any inclusion of Canada's copyright laws in the NAFTA talks.  Comments may be submitted via online form, by postal mail, or at in-person consultations (although none are currently scheduled).

* New Creative Commons eBook

This new eBook may be of interest to people seeking to understand the benefits of the public domain: https://creativecommons.org/made-with-cc/

>From the forward: "Today, copyright is like a lottery ticket— everyone has one, and almost nobody wins. What they don’t tell you is that if you choose to share your work, the returns can be significant and long-lasting. This book is filled with stories of those who take much greater risks than the two dollars we pay for a lottery ticket, and instead reap the rewards that come from pursuing their passions and living their values."

* Join Distributed Proofreaders

Visit www.pgdp.net to learn about how to help create some of Project Gutenberg's forthcoming eBooks!  Proofreading a page a day is easy, fun, and a great way to help bring literature to the world.

* Find Project Gutenberg on social media

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/project.gutenberg
Facebook news feed of new eBooks: https://www.facebook.com/gutenberg.new
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gutenberg_org @gutenberg_org
Twitter news feed of new eBooks: https://twitter.com/gutenberg_new @gutenberg_new

Thanks to the Project Gutenberg Social Media Team for keeping these feeds interesting!

* News items wanted!

If you have an item of interest to Project Gutenberg newsletter readers, please send it (you can respond directly to this message).

* New eBook listings from March-June 2017

~ ~ ~ ~ Posting Dates for the below eBooks:  1 Jun 2017 to 30 Jun 2017 ~ ~ ~ ~

TITLE and AUTHOR                                                     ETEXT NO.

The Diary of Dr. John William Polidori, by John William Polidori         55017
 [Subtitle: 1816, Relating to Byron, Shelley, etc.]

The American Missionary, Volume 34, No. 12, December 1880, by Various    55016

Stephen H. Branch's Alligator Vol. 1 no. 23,                             55015
 September 25, 1858, by Stephen H. Branch

Moderne Probleme, by Eduard von Hartmann                                 55014
 [Language: German]

Jacobine von Baiern Gräfin von Hennegau, Holland, Friesland              55013
 und Zeeland, by Gottlob Heinrich Heinse
 [Subtitle: Eine vaterländische Geschichte aus
  dem fünfzehenden Jahrhundert]
 [Language: German]

Dred, by Harriet beecher Stowe                                           55012
 [Subtitle: A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp]

The Poems of Madison Cawein, Volume 3,                                   55011
 [Illustrator: Eric Pape]

Charlestown Navy Yard, by National Park Service                          55010
 [Subtitle: Boston National Historical Park, Massachusetts]

The Botanical Lore of the California Indians,                            55009
 by John Bruno Romero and Ha-Ha-St of Tawee
 [Subtitle: with Side Lights on Historical
  Incidents in California]

The American Missionary, Volume 34, No. 11, November 1880, by Various    55008

Stephen H. Branch's Alligator Vol. 1 no. 21, September 11, 1858,         55007
 by Stephen H. Branch

The Sundial, by Fred M. White                                            55006

Amadís of Gaul, Volume IV of IV, by Vasco Lobeira                        55005

Stephen H. Branch's Alligator Vol. 1 no. 18, August 21, 1858,            55004
 by Stephen H. Branch

The Irish Penny Journal, Vol. 1 No. 37, March 13, 1841, by Various       55003

NetWorld!, by David H. Rothman                                           55002C
 [Subtitle: What People Are Really Doing on
  the Internet and What It Means to You]

In a Toy Shop, by Effa E. Preston                                        55001
 [Subtitle: A Christmas Play for Small Children]

Mark Manning's Mission, by Horatio Alger, Jr.                            55000
 [Subtitle: The Story of a Shoe Factory Boy]
 [Illustrator: John Watson Davis]

Music and Its Masters, by Otis Bardwell Boise                            54999

Götalaiset huoneet, by August Strindberg                                 54998
 [Subtitle: Sukutarinoita vuosisadan vaihteesta]
 [Language: Finnish]

Mémoires de Céleste Mogador, Vol. 2 of 4, by Céleste de Chabrillan       54997
 [Language: French]

The Yale Cup, by Albertus True Dudley                                    54996
 [Illustrator: Charles Copeland]

Uncle Wiggily's Fortune, by Howard R. Garis                              54995
 [Illustrator: Louis Wisa]

Squib and His Friends, by Evelyn Everett-Green                           54994

The Beadle Collection of Dime Novels, by New York Public Library         54993
 [Subtitle: Given to the New York Public Library
  By Dr. Frank P. O'Brien]

Prolegomena to the Study of Hegel's Philosophy,                          54992
 by William Wallace and G. W. F. Hegel
 [Subtitle: and Especially of his Logic]

Poems, by Alexander Pushkin                                              54991
 [Subtitle: With Introduction and Notes]
The Brown Brethren, by Patrick MacGill                                   54990

The Young Emperor, William II of Germany, by Harold Frederic             54989
 [Subtitle: A Study in Character Development on a Throne]

Gloria Mundi, by Harold Frederic                                         54988

Seth's Brother's Wife, by Harold Frederic                                54987
 [Subtitle: A Study of Life in The Greater New York]

March Hares, by Harold Frederic                                          54986

Poems, by Matthew Arnold                                                 54985

A serious proposal to the Ladies, for the advancement of their           54984
 true and greatest interest (In Two Parts), by Mary Astell

Les aventures d'une fourmi rouge et les mémoires                         54983
 d'un pierrot, by Henri de la Blanchère
 [Illustrators: A. Mesnel et Hector Giacomelli]
 [Language: French]

A Text-book of Diseases of Women, by Charles Bingham Penrose             54982

American Missionary, Vol. XXXIV, No. 5, May 1880, by Various             54981

The Country of Sir Walter Scott, by Charles S. Olcott                    54980
 [Illustrator: Charles S. Olcott]

The Yellow Holly, by Fergus Hume                                         54979

Stephen H. Branch's Alligator Vol. 1 no. 17,                             54978
 August 14, 1858, by Stephen H. Branch

The Sovereignty of the Sea, by Thomas Wemyss Fulton                      54977
 [Subtitle: An Historical Account of the Claims
  of England to the Dominion of the British Seas,
  and of the Evolution of the Territorial Waters]

The Molecular Tactics of a Crystal, by Lord Kelvin                       54976

Mémoires de Céleste Mogador, Volume 1 of 4, by Céleste de Chabrillan     54975
 [Language: French]

Tour of the American Lakes, and Among the Indians                        54974
 of the North-West Territory, in 1830,
 Volume 1 of 2, by Calvin Colton
 [Subtitle: Disclosing the Character
  and Prospects of the Indian Race]

The Brighton Boys in Transatlantic Flight, by James R. Driscoll          54973
 [Illustrator: W. V. Chambers]

Les fleurs animées - Tome 1, by J. J. Grandville                         54972
 [Illustrator: M. Maubert]
 [Language: French]

The S. P. Mystery, by Harriet Pyne Grove                                 54971

Everglades Wildguide, by Jean Craighead George                           54970
 [Subtitle: Handbook 143]
 [Illustrator: Betty Fraser]

Sound, by John Tyndall                                                   54969

Famous Composers and their Works, Volume 1, by Various                   54968
 [Editors: John Knowles Paine, Theodore Thomas and Karl Klauser]

Anecdotes of the American Indians, by Unknown                            54967
 [Subtitle: Illustrating their Eccentricities of Character]

Handbook to the Mennonite Hymnary, by Lester Hostetler                   54966

Miss Beecher's Domestic Receipt Book, by Catherine Beecher               54965
 [Subtitle: Designed as a Supplement to
  Her Treatise on Domestic Economy]

The Desert Mounted Corps, by R.M.P. Preston                              54964
 [Subtitle: An Account of the Cavalry Operations
  in Palestine and Syria 1917 - 1918]

L'expédition de la Jeannette au pôle Nord racontée par tous              54963
 les membres de l'expédition - Volume 2, by Various
 [Subtitle: ouvrage composé des documents reçus par
  le 'New-York Herald'de 1878 à 1882]
 [Editor: Jules Geslin]
 [Language: French]

Retail Shoe Salesmanship, by George F. Hamilton, Frank Butterworth,      54962
 H. T. Conner and A. H. Geuting, et.al.

How a Farthing Made a Fortune, by C. E. Bowen                            54961
 [Subtitle: or 'Honesty is the best policy']

Hernach, by Wilhelm Busch                                                54960
 [Language: German]

The Pearl Fishers, by Henry De Vere Stacpoole                            54959

Among the An-ko-me-nums, by Thomas Crosby                                54958
 [Subtitle: Or Flathead Tribes of Indians of the Pacific Coast]

The New German Constitution, by René Brunet                              54957

Viipurin pamaus, by Santeri Ivalo                                        54956
 [Subtitle: Historiallinen romaani]
 [Language: Finnish]

The Suffragette, by Estelle Sylvia Pankhurst                             54955
 [Subtitle: The History of the Women's
  Militant Suffrage Movement 1905-1910]

Oscar in Africa, by Harry Castlemon                                      54954

The Minority of Henry the Third, by Kate Norgate                         54953

Chanteraine, by André Theuriet                                           54952
 [Language: French]

The History of the Lives and Bloody Exploits of the Most Noted           54951
 Pirates; Their Trials and Executions, by Ezra Baldwin Strong
 [Subtitle: Including a Correct Account of the Late Piracies
  Committed in the West-Indies, and the Expedition of
  Commodore Porter; also, Those Committed on the Brig Mexican,
  Who Were Tried and Executed at Boston, in 1835]

The Vermilion Pencil, by Homer Lea                                       54950
 [Subtitle: A Romance of China]

Deutschlands Geschichtsquellen im Mittelalter bis zur Mitte des          54949
 dreizehnten Jahrhunderts, Erster Band (von 2), by Wilhelm Wattenbach
 [Language: German]

Poems, by S. C. Mercer                                                   54948

The Martyrs' Idyl, by Louise Imogen Guiney                               54947
 [Subtitle: And Shorter Poems]

Cottage on the Curve, by Mary Lamers                                     54946

All Taut, by Oliver Optic                                                54945
 [Subtitle: or Rigging the boat]

The Last Days of Mary Stuart, by Samuel Cowan                            54944
 [Subtitle: And the journal of Bourgoyne her physician]

How to Teach a Foreign Language, by Otto Jespersen                       54943

Monica, Volume 3 of 3, by Evelyn Everett-Green                           54942
 [Subtitle: A Novel]

Monica, Volume 2 of 3, by Evelyn Everett-Green                           54941
 [Subtitle: A Novel]

Monica, Volume 1 of 3, by Evelyn Everett-Green                           54940
 [Subtitle: A Novel]

Historical Record of the Fourteenth or The King's Regiment               54939
 of Light Dragoon: An Account of Its Formation and of its
 Subsequent Services, by Richard Cannon

The Philosophy of the Practical: Economic and Ethic, by Benedetto Croce  54938

The Athelings; Volume 2 of 3, by Margaret Oliphant                       54937

History of Greece, Volume 6 of 12, by Georges Grote                      54936

Kryss och landkänning, by Albert  Engström                               54935
 [Illustrator: Albert Engström]
 [Language: Swedish]

España Contemporánea, by Rubén Darío                                     54934
 [Subtitle: Obras Completas Vol. XIX]
 [Language: Spanish]

Kadonnut pikajuna, by Arthur Conan Doyle                                 54933
 [Subtitle: y.m. kertomuksia]
 [Language: Finnish]

Italian Backgrounds, by Edith Wharton                                    54932
 [Illustrator: Ernest Clifford Peixotto]

Mendel, by Gilbert Cannan                                                54931
 [Subtitle: A Story of Youth]

Little Snap The Postboy, by Victor St. Clair                             54930
 [Subtitle: Working for Uncle Sam]

Christopher Columbus, by Charles Kendall Adams                           54929
 [Subtitle: His Life and His Work]

History of Spanish Literature, Volume 1 of 3, by George Ticknor          54928

Kiannan rannoilta Kaspian poikki, by Ilmari Kianto                       54927
 [Subtitle: Päiväkirjani kotimaassa ja Venäjällä v. 1902]
 [Language: Finnish]

Fairy Gold, by Christian Reid                                            54926

The Friendly Daemon, or the Generous Apparition, by Daniel Defoe         54925
 [Subtitle: Being a True Narrative of a Miraculous Cure,
  Newly Perform'd Upon That Famous Deaf and Dumb Gentleman,
  Dr. Duncan Campbel, by a Familiar Spirit That Appear'd
  to Him in a White Surplice, Like a Cathedral Singing Boy]

The Irish Penny Journal, Vol. 1 No. 36, March 6, 1841, by Various        54924

In Wildest Africa, Volume 2 of 2, by Carl Georg Schilling                54923

In Wildest Africa, Volume 1 of 2, by Carl Georg Schilling                54922

The Romance of War (Sequel to Volumes 1-3), by James Grant               54921
 [Subtitle: or, The Highlanders in France and Belgium]

The Romance of War, Volume 3 of 3, by James Grant                        54920
 [Subtitle: or, The Highlanders in Spain]

The Romance of War, Volume 2 of 3, by James Grant                        54919
 [Subtitle: or, The Highlanders in Spain]

The Romance of War, Volume 1 of 3, by James Grant                        54918
 [Subtitle: or, The Highlanders in Spain]

Trial of the Major War Criminals Before the International                54917
 Military Tribunal, Volume V, by Various
 [Subtitle: Nuremburg 14 November 1945-1 October 1946]

A Prince to Order, by Charles Stokes Wayne                               54916

The Bears of Blue River, by Charles Major                                54915

His Glorious Appearing, by James White                                   54914
 [Subtitle: An Exposition of Matthew Twenty-Four]

Stories of Starland, by Mary Proctor                                     54913

Poems, by Julia Caroline Ripley Dorr                                     54912

An Account of the Sore Throat Attended With Ulcers, by John Fothergill   54911
 [Subtitle: A Disease Which Hath of Late Years Appeared
  in This City, and in Several Parts of the Nation]

The Rising Tide, by Margaret Deland                                      54910
 [Illustrator: F. Walter Taylor]

Harry's Island, by Ralph Henry Barbour                                   54909
 [Illustrator: C. M. Relyea]

Historical Record of the Thirteenth Regiment of Light Dragoons:          54908