[gutvol-p] Re: [pgww] Size/image limit in Web browser?

Jim Tinsley jtinsley at pobox.com
Wed Jan 4 02:26:13 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:40:41PM -0800, Greg Newby wrote:
>Has anyone heard about the following:
>
>> Let me just address one issue.  The reason I organized it the way I did --
>> into chapters vice a single web page -- was because just before I got
>> started on it I ran across a comment by someone -- I think it was somewhere
>> on the Project Gutenberg site -- that said that some browsers (I think the
>> reference was actually about Windows IE) are limited to no more than
>> something like 90 graphic images on a "page".  I think the comment said
>> there was also a MB size limit.  So when I saw that I knew I had somewhere
>> in the neighborhood of 300+ images so I'd bust that limit.  So although I
>> was aware of your format guidelines I thought it was going to take this
>> project straight into a application crash.  So that's why I did what I did.
>> Do you know if this graphics limitation still exists (or if it ever did)?
>
>The message was in response to my request to join a multi-file
>HTML eBook with tons of images (300) into a single file.
>
>Thanks for any info or feedback you might be able to provide.
>  -- Greg

I'm not aware of any specific limits. In the FAQ, I give more general
advice:

http://www.gutenberg.org/faq/H-6

H.6. Should I make my HTML edition all on one page, or split it into multiple linked pages?

For a typical novel, one page or HTML file is appropriate, but when that single HTML file gets up around 2 megabytes in size, it may be worth considering a split because of the difficulty of loading it in some browsers.

In some other cases, where the content requires different styles on different pages, or different pages need different character sets, or the page, with images, just gets too heavy, you may need to split the HTML even if the HTML itself isn't technically too big.

but I've seen some horrible numbers of images in one HTML file,
where things get creaky but don't actually break. Though I think
I had to wait 15 minutes once for one page to load -- from my
LOCAL disk! I suppose you could do some tests.

jim