[gutvol-p] Re: Getting Involved

Al Haines (shaw) ajhaines at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 15 21:04:50 PST 2009

John, I've taken the liberty of re-posting this message to Project
Gutenberg's general discussion forum (gutvol-d).  (It's usually a more
active and vociferous forum than gutvol-p.)

You don't say precisely what you mean by "submitting files", but if you mean
submitting new ebooks, you should probably start by reading PG's various
How-To's and FAQ's at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Category:How-To and
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Category:FAQ, respectively.

You'll need to obtain a copyright clearance for the book you want to
produce, described here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Copyright_How-To.  (You'll also need
to create an account for yourself at http://upload.pglaf.org/ to submit
copyright clearance requests and to upload your finished ebook.)

For general information and standards for the text and HTML versions,
respectively, see the Volunteers' FAQ and the HTML FAQ at
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Category:FAQ.  For checking text files, the
three utilities Gutcheck, Jeebies, and Gutspell are indispensable.  They're
free, and downloadable at http://gutcheck.sourceforge.net/etc.html

PG requires at least a plain text version of the book.  (See the Volunteers'
FAQ, especially section 7.)  HTML is optional, but desirable.  It's pretty
much required if the book has illustrations or graphical content.  Other
formats (doc, rtf, pdf, etc) are optional.  See the File Formats FAQ at the
above FAQ link for more information.

Comments on your assorted utilities and conversions I leave to others.

Al Haines
Project Gutenberg.