[gutvol-w] Distributing metalinks for the Gutenberg project

Bram Neijt bneijt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 04:05:59 PST 2010

Hi all,

I'm a developer on the metalinks project and I would like to see if I
could help with project gutenberg file distribution/mirroring by
introducing metalinks or adding dynamically generated metalinks using
dynmirror.net.

Metalinks are XML files which describe multiple mirrors and optionally
multiple files. They help with distributing the load over the different
mirrors and provide a more care-free download of multiple files. It is
not a P2P system, although it is easy to include a link to a torrent
file or other P2P links.

More information is available at:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/metalinks/wiki/WhatAreMetalinks
and
http://metalinker.org/

I'm going to be on a vacation the upcoming week, but I would like to
hear from all of you if I could help with implementing metalinks for the
gutenberg project and/or answer any questions you may have.

Greetings,
  Bram Neijt

PS I first wrote this message to webmaster2010, but that returned with
a failure.