[PGCanada] Ok: Good Talk: What to do?

Michael Lockey mlockey at honson.com
Sun Dec 5 22:16:31 PST 2004

A number of folk have been kind enough to respond to my suggestions.  (I
can't help it: personally I hate people who come out of the blue and
start giving advice to people who have done so much- all I can say is
that, by preference, I am a shy person.)  (Checking his credibility at
the door.)

A number seem ready to fight; others seem to think we're already doomed.

Personally, I think we CAN fight, but we gotta get organized- which goes
against a lot of PG's ethos.  Too bad.  To stand alone on the field of
sanctity is to doom ourselves as the latest Children's Crusade.  The
trouble is that, with so many different, intelligent, voices, we can get
bogged down in administrative trivia and hissy fights.

I really think we need to eyeball and discuss plans.  In someplace like
TO we can get a concensus among a great number of people: as long as we
understand that this is for convenience only, and no more important than
a lone supporter in Kitimat, I can't see any harm in it.  But we gotta
(IMHO) come up with a strategic directive to our fight.

My immediate and (almost) irrevocable need is to define and- in some
cases, staff- the different stakeholders involved here.  I see them as
the following:

Holders of Copyright: well represented, highly funded, and inimicable to
the other stakeholders, who are:

Representatives of the Public Domain, (non-existant?) who should be
arguing, IN TERMS OF POWER, CONTROL, and FINANCES, for the correct
exploitation of PD;

and

Representatives of works covered under Copyright.  This is more
difficult to visualize, but the reality is that Copyright is contrary to
the wellbeing of the created works, and they should have representation,
in the way that equal abstracts such as scenic beauty, endangered
wildlife, or such, have their advocates.

But if we want to be thirty or forty individuals sitting around debating
the whereness of the why, we'll at least be in a position to discuss how
they haul our heritage away...

Michael Lockey