[PGCanada] CNIB/Maclean's

Wallace J.McLean ag737 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Nov 12 13:43:27 PST 2004

Maclean's current edition (thick one, with university rankings) has a
blurb in it about the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind)
and their efforts to digitize books for blind, visually impaired, and
other disabled readers.

The blurb, or at least part of it, is online at:

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/technology/article.jsp?
content=20041115_92047_92047

I seem to recall, in doing research on AMICUS (the National Library
catalogue), that a large number of the most recent editions of old
works -- in some cases, the first new edition in 50 or 60 or more
years -- is either a Project Gutenberg edition which has been
accessioned and catalogued by a library, or an edition produced by the
CNIB or a commercial company specializing in large-print/talking-
book/braille editions.

I'm not sure, but some large-print editions may even be "typeset" by PG.