[PGCanada] Gone With the Wind, redux

naomi walker ningi at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 11 09:26:33 PST 2004

According to a recent article in my local paper in South Daytona Florida,
the estate holders for Gone With The Wind, only have legal prosocution
authority here in the United States, since the book falls under the life+75
rule governing copyright works.  According to the news writter, the estate
acted without authority by threatening the Australian PG group since it is
understood by international copyright law to fall under public domain in
Australia which has life+50 for copyritten works.  Same applies to Canada's
public domain publication of the book, life +50yrs.  According to the
article, it should be posted with a warning that the book is only under
public domain in the Countries where the work meets life + 50, which means,
my local PG group could be held libal in court if the work was offered for
post and download without permission from the estate itself.  Hope this
helps to clarify a little.  Perhaps a search for copyright and public domain
copyright under the host nation would yield a free source for translation of
the copyright laws.  Here is the one for the United States.
http://www.copyright.gov/

Naomi Walker
enjoys reading the classics and PD books the volunteers have posted in good
faith :)