[PGCanada] Gutenberg site

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Thu Nov 25 04:16:33 PST 2004

Hi James,

I've had a really busy week, but I want to get back to doing what I can
for PG Canada.

It seems to me, that you have done some work already on the web site,
you and Russell both have ISPs that can host it, and I and others in the
forum have time we are willing to donate, so there is no technical
reason we cannot move forward.

Additionally, I have found a lawyer who will give us a deal on setting
up a federal not-for-profit corp. Such an organization will provide a
degree of legitimacy that just might help when Parliament gets around to
discussing extending terms of copyright (which they will inevitably do!).

I think we need to work on both of these in tandem.

Can we start by copying the US or Australian site with some minor
modifications for Canada and Canadian copyright laws? This I think,
would get a working site up within weeks. I'm willing to do as much of
the technical work to this end as I am capable.

Then we can start looking at XML versions of the material for a new
site. From what I've seen there is still a lot of discussion required
for this to proceed.

Also we need to talk about corporate plans and registration documents.
Is there a Wiki we can use some place where we can start drafting these
documents? A Wiki would be great because then everybody here can
participate easily. Russell has one. Russell could we use a small corner
for PG Canada?

James, I asked before if you could act as a treasurer of sorts and
collect/record/track some of the money we will need to set up this
corporate entity. Can you do that?

I'd start doing it all myself now except that I don't really think I can
set up another site and start calling PG Canada without somebody's
permission. Whos? And I don't have a server. I will however look into
doing some draft corporate registration documentation, then when we get
a Wiki up I'll share them.

cheers,
darryl