[PGCanada] Last Call for Web Hosting

Jen Zed jenzed at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 08:04:27 PDT 2005

On 4/25/05, Russell McOrmond <russell at flora.ca> wrote:

>    Do you know if all the applications you would be wanting run under PHP
> safe mode?  Some applications are picky about this, but most are not.
> The other question is whether you would need shell access, or whether FTP
> access (chroot'd) would be sufficient.

It seems like safe mode should be okay for PmWiki
(http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PmWikiFeatures); however, some
folks say they've had to do a manual chmod to allow for new file
creation (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FilePermissions). There
may be other issues - we'll see how it goes.

Regarding the CMS, if other sites that you host use Drupal, then I
imagine we'll be fine.

FTP access will be fine - I don't forsee an immediate need for shell access.

> > Drupal (and probably most CMSs) will require some "special" MySQL
> > permissions - like the ability for users to do a LOCK TABLE.

>    Interesting.  I don't restrict things that way for our MySQL accounts.

Yeah, the Drupal community's take on the restriction is that it's dumb
security via a sledgehammer rather than smart security via a tuning
fork.

jen.