Some humble suggestions... Re: [PGCanada] Re: PG-Canada / List of tasks to do

Wallace J.McLean ag737 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 27 18:21:49 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Noring <jon at noring.name>
Date: Thursday, January 27, 2005 9:10 pm
Subject: Re: Some humble suggestions... Re: [PGCanada] Re: PG-Canada /
List of tasks to do

> Laugh. I live in Salt Lake City, and am an avid amateur genealogist.
> I often do research in the Family History Library downtown. (I am NOT
> LDS.)

I'm a recovering one.

Genealogist, that is, not LDS.

I can probably recruit 100 volunteers if we can start getting into
things like county histories and the amazing corpus of genealogical
works that have come out of Quebec over the past century.

> > Again, provisional publication of the scans could help
> accelerate and
> > distribute that process.
>
> Certainly. Placing the scans online (which I assume is what you mean
> by "publication") certainly *requires* that cataloging records be
> first generated from them, as well as copyright clearance.

Copyright clearance, yes; full cataloguing information can follow.
Again, making the scans provisionally available can help with that
process, too, giving cataloguers more information to go on.