[PGCanada] Copyright clearance for PG Canada

Wallace J.McLean ag737 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Jan 15 17:29:46 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Gardner Buchanan <gbuchana at rogers.com>
Date: Saturday, January 15, 2005 4:57 pm
Subject: RE: [PGCanada] Copyright clearance for PG Canada

> If you assume the age at death could have been as high as 100
> and the age at publishing as low as 12, you wind up with 1867.
>
> 90 years and 20 years gives 1885.
>
> Anything that falls under this rule would be a shoo-in for
> PG USA, and it would be simplest to just post it there.

It would be nice to have it stored in a Canadian collection, though,
too. But this will provide a good argument to policy-makers to give
Canadians a failsafe rule, if 19th-century Canadiana has to be
digitized in the US because of a lacuna in our own laws!

However, we may have a way out. We need to look at whether the 1924
term extension has ever been judicially commented on, and whether it's
been found to be retroactive or not?