Some humble suggestions... Re: [PGCanada] Re: PG-Canada / List of tasks to do

Wallace J.McLean ag737 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 27 17:19:29 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Noring <jon at noring.name>
Date: Thursday, January 27, 2005 7:44 pm
Subject: Some humble suggestions... Re: [PGCanada] Re: PG-Canada / List
of tasks to do

> and a level of autonomy with the other groups. The three are:

0) Distributed pre-scanning. This would be semi-structured efforts to
obtain ALL the public-domain content in a given area of interest (e.g.,
every PD book about Cape Breton; 18th-century imprints; imprints in
Aboriginal languages; etc., etc.)

> 1) Scanning

Question: As a bulwark against copyright term extension, as a way of
providing at least provisional access to works, and as a way of
delivering raw scans to those who will generate, clean and up-mark OCR,
should we make the raw scans available online? (My answer: yes.)

> 2) Cataloging and Copyright Clearance
> 3) Conversion to structured digital text
>
> The first, scanning, can be done independently. It would seek out old
> texts to scan which, if public domain, can be placed online. Ask for
> donations (with a tax deduction to the donor) of old books which are
> otherwise falling apart, chop them

A lot of books we won't be able to get choppable copies of, and in a
lot of cases, won't even need to: I think a key priority should be to
beg, bum, borrow, or steal microform scanning capability, and start
working our way through the CIHM back-catalogue, supplemented with
proofraiding of the main existing Canadian image-libraries (ECO, BNQ,
ourroots, etc.)

> (In other messages, I referred to the scanning project as Distributed
> Scanners.)

We can further distribute that task through my "cells" idea, which
takes the "team" concept over at PGDP one step further.

Cells would be groups would would work more closely together to collect
works in a geographical area (the Halifax cell), a given library (the
Acadia University cell) or a given field of interest (the Canadian
Incunabula cell; the LOTE cell; the Genealogy cell, etc.)

They would bootstrap themselves into existence, both on our site, and
through outside contacts, and make conscious efforts to assimilate
everything and anything that interests them and is clearable. Think LDS
genealogists meet the Borg.

> The second, cataloging/copyright clearance, will take the scans which
> have been done, and put together MARC (or equivalent) records for the
> works (a lot of data can be taken from other libraries.) In addition,
> the group can do the research on the copyright of the works, which of
> course the cataloging information is important in the process. And
> finally, this group can look over the scans to determine if any pages
> are missing or badly scanned (a sort of QC function).

Again, provisional publication of the scans could help accelerate and
distribute that process.