[PGCanada] Licensing for PG-Canada content

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Fri Jan 28 04:29:42 PST 2005

I think that maybe we could/should have an option on the web site to
provide the books is a raw ASCII form. In that form I think we could
even have a non-licence which clearly states that the text is in the
public domain and is provided with absolutely no restrictions.

My thoughts around licencing of other forms are two fold:

1) I am assuming there is a reasonable amount of work which goes into
marking up the texts as James is planning. (This unfortunately may be
where my ignorance shows as I have not yet done any of this sort of
stuff.) Copyright law unfortunately does not provide any guidelines for
how much work constitutes a new derived work. By placing a licence here,
even if it is somehow determined that what we are providing are new
derived works, we will have ensured that they are treated like public
domain.

2) We need to ensure that a future malcontented DP volunteer does not
make everybodies' lives difficult by claiming his own more restrictive
rights on the works for the same reasons stated in (1). By ensuring that
the works submitters are consenting to the same licence they will not be
able to force us to remove works from the archives at a later date.

Basically any licence would be to cover our asses. We could even state
that in other words, in the licence itself. Put in a preamble which says
that we don't think you should need this but...

The only reason for the attribution is to acknowledge the work that DP
volunteers have done and to spread the word about the public domain and
Project Gutenberg. If we disavow the licence then perhaps we could just
make this a polite request.