[posted] Posted(#52820, Ritchie)

David Price ccx074 at pglaf.org
Mon Aug 15 23:00:03 PDT 2016

Thoughts on Slavery and Cheap Sugar, by James Ewing Ritchie              52820
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/5/2/8/2/52820 ]
   [Files: 52820-0.txt; 52820-h.htm]

For those wishing to know: James Ewing Ritchie was active in the
anti-slavery movements in England and when around 1844 the English
Government raised taxes on sugar using the excuse that they would hit the
slave owning areas, and the anti-slavery organisations agreed, James
greatly disagreed saying it would hit the poor in the England greatly, was
hypocritical as we didn't do it for cotton (our chief trade) etc.  This is
his argument to the anti-slavery groups.

All the best,
David,
England with sunshine and blue skies