[posted] Posted(#53888, Taylor)

David Price ccx074 at pglaf.org
Wed Jan 4 12:43:03 PST 2017

The Marylebone Penny Readings and their Critics, by Henry Taylor         53888
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/5/3/8/8/53888 ]
   [Files: 53888-0.txt; 53888-h.htm]

For those wishing to know: Henry Taylor had founded "penny readings" for
working class men in Marylebone, in the 1860's.  The aim was to provide
an alternative to the pubs and a daughter branch was opened in Bayswater
(very close by).  The latter failed leaving a debt of 25 pounds, of which
Taylor paid 15 and claimed the creditors allowed him to pay the remaining
10 later.  Unfortunately some of the upper-class backers heard of Taylor
being in debt and disassociated themselves with the whole enterprise, and
did so in the local newspapers.  This small pamphlet was published by
Taylor to tell the story from his side.  I'm afraid the local newspapers
were very nasty to him, although I've been unable to find any concrete
details.

All the best,
David,
Damp and not so cold England