[posted] UNposted: (#22193, Hession)

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Sun Mar 26 08:57:06 PDT 2017

We received a complaint from the US-based publisher of this work, and after investigation we have removed #22193 from Project Gutenberg.

The problem is that the authors were UK citizens, living in the UK.  The book's imprint is Pennsylvania, but it was published earlier in the UK.  Therefore, the GATT extensions under the Uruguay Round copyright treaty apply.  In other words, the fact that it was published without a copyright notice does NOT grant it to the public domain in the US.

Our "rule 5" in the copyright how-to already mentions that the rule only applies to items by US persons, for US publications.  But in this case, we did not notice or check on the biographical info of the authors, nor on prior publication history.

Thanks to the producers for their efforts on this, and I apologize that the copyright clearance was in error.
  Greg

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:32:02PM -0700, David Widger wrote:

> The Calvary Road, by Roy Hession and Revel Hession                       22193
>  [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/2/2/1/9/22193 ]
>  [Files: 22193.txt; 22193-h.htm]
>
> Thanks to Free Elf & Bookworm book.worm [at] librivox.org
>

> David

Dr. Gregory B. Newby
Chief Executive and Director
Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation www.gutenberg.org
A 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization with EIN 64-6221541
gbnewby at pglaf.org