[glibrary] Seeking Strindberg in Grove Press

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Sun Oct 31 13:40:24 PST 2004

Per the extensive discussion below:

We're seeking a printed edition of this title:

Author:		August Strindberg
Translator:	Graham Rawson
Publisher:	Grove Press (NY)
Date:		1960

To compare to this:
	http://gutenberg.net/etext05/8rddm10.txt (or 10h.htm)

A scan/photocopy of the title page & verso would also help.

Can anyone on glibrary find this item?

Thanks!!!  Greg

----- Forwarded message from John Mark Ockerbloom <ockerblo at pobox.upenn.edu> -----

From: John Mark Ockerbloom <ockerblo at pobox.upenn.edu>
To: Project Gutenberg Postings Announcements <posted at lists.pglaf.org>
Subject: Re: [posted] Posted (#8875, Strindberg) !
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:53:04 -0400

I still don't see how the book below clears.  Discussion below:

Greg Newby wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 05:48:36PM -0400, David Widger wrote:
>>>
>>>According to WorldCat, this was first published in 1939, and appears to
>>>have
>>>had its first publication abroad.  Which would suggest that it's now under
>>>copyright in the US (unless the translator, Graham Rawson, died young, or
>>>there actually was a US edition in 1939 as well).
>>>
>>>Does someone have information on how it cleared?  (I'm aware of the 1960
>>>Grove Press edition, but that's both pre-GATT and way after the first UK
>>>edition.)

>>Here is the clearance line.
>>
>>gbn0306071904: August Strindberg, The Road to Damascus.  Nicole Apostola
>><napost
>>ola at yahoo.com>.  1958p.  6/12/2003.  ok under rule 7.
>

>"Rule 7" was a non-starter, since the US doesn't have a "Rule
>of the Shorter Term."  My mistake.
>
>The question is whether the text we have matches the Grove Press
>1960 edition (I'll be good money that it does, but did not
>do a comparison).  Then, whether the Grove Press edition clears
>under Rule 5 (pre-1989, no copyright notice).  Again, I'll bet
>good money, but did not check.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would suffice to clear the book.
The Grove Press edition was not the first edition, but is presumably
based on the first edition of 1939.  Since *that* edition appears to have
been first published abroad, it is probably eligible for restored
copyright under the GATT copyright restorations (which covers books
of non-US origin that were published without the proper formalities, such
as copyright notice and renewal.)   And if the 1939 book is now under
copyright,
so is Grove's 1960 reprint.

For the 1939 book not to have been restored to copyright, at least one
of these things must be true:

   -- The book was simultaneously (or within 30 days) published in the US
          (but the WorldCat entry for the first edition only says
           "London: J. Cape, 1939")
   -- There was an earlier edition published in the US
          (but WorldCat doesn't show a US edition prior to the 1960 Grove
          edition)
   -- The translator, Graham Rawson, died before 1926, 70 years prior to the
        1996 GATT restorations, or was an American citizen and resident.
        (But the LC authority file equates
         Graham Rawson with Graham Stanhope Rawson, born 1890.  A finding
         aid at
        http://www.library.rdg.ac.uk/colls/special/rawson.html notes that
        Ivy Marion Enthoven married dramatist Graham Stanhope Rawson in 1930,
        who would appear to be our man, still alive and well then.
        Furthermore, the short bio mentions her work in England during
        the 1920s and 1930s-- and doesn't mention any emigration
        afterwards either-- so he was likely there too.  And we already
        know that his translation was both first performed in London--
        the introduction mentions a London debut in 1937-- and was
        apparently first published in London in 1939.)

Unless one of these propositions can be established, which doesn't look
very likely to me at this point, it would appear that the Gutenberg
translation is still under copyright in the US.

John Mark Ockerbloom

----- End forwarded message -----