[gmonthly] PR New Project Gutenberg eBooks

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Thu Nov 4 08:49:47 PST 2004

Press release:

THE FIRST PROJECT GUTENBERG CONSORTIUM CENTER IS OPEN!!!

November 4, 2004

Today, on the one-third of a century anniversary date of
Project Gutenberg, it is my pleasure to announce a site
designed for the exchange of entire eBook collections--

The first of the Project Gutenberg Consortia Centers is
located at a site designated by its initials:  pgcc.net

The mission of the Project Gutenberg Consortia Centers:
to help people legally exchange eBook collections under
the various new copyright laws.

As you may know, different countries had copyright laws
change drastically over the last few years, and we hear
even more changes are coming at the end of this year.

Therefore, we are making this effort to help those whom
these copyright extensions will effect, to insure their
continued abilities to provide free eBooks within rules
of their new copyright laws; such as many EU countries,
and apparently Australia at the end of this year, along
with various other changes we will try to help everyone
keep up with.

We hope to be making similar announcements next year to
let you know about more such sites under the laws of an
assortment of countries worldwide.

PGCC's current eBook and eDocument Collections holdings:

Alex-Wire Tap Collection  2,036 HTML eBook Files
Black Mask Collection 12,000 HTML eBook Files
DjVu Collection 272 PDF and DJVU eBook Files
eBooks at Adelaide Collection 27,709 eBook Files
Himalayan Academy 3,400 HTML eBook Files
Literal Systems Collection 68 Mp3 eBook Files
Logos Group Collection 34,000 TXT eBook Files
Poet's Corner Poetry Collection 6,700 Poems
Project Gutenberg Collection 14,300 Files
Renaisscance Editions Collection 561 HTML eBook Files
Swami Center Collection 78 HTML eBook Files
Tony Kline Collection 223 HTML eBook Files
Widger Library 2,600 HTML eBook Files
CIA's Electronic Reading Room 2,019 Reference Files

Enjoy!

Michael