[gutvol-p] Re: If you don't mind testing a program

Paulo Levi i30817 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 16:48:56 PDT 2009

"David A. Desrosiers" <desrod at gnu-designs.com> wrote

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Paulo Levi<i30817 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you find a problem anyway?

 Yes, it doesn't actually DO anything. This screenshot is the extent of
what I could get the application to do:

http://code.gnu-designs.com/images/Gutenberg-BookJar.png

I have no idea what the "Toggle Voice/Stop Voice" are supposed to do,
since it doesn't speak anything. Likewise with the increase/decrease
fonts. Since there are no "fonts" displayed anywhere (other than in
the menus themselves), what exactly would it be increasing/decreasing?

> The are some bugs in the tts module , mostly because of latency of the
sound
> player and the sound mixer massive fail in linux but last time i tested*
it
> worked ok.

 What exactly am I supposed to do with a big, gray screen with a tiny
thumbnail image in the middle of it? The menus don't really do much,
unless I'm supposed to load up a browser, find a Gutenberg text,
download it, stick it in a directory and point your reader at it. If I
have to do all that, I'll just read the etext in a browser using the
HTML formatted version of the books.

Try to open the toogle gutenberg write a title or author name in the text
field and click on the image/name that appears. You should see a download
icon on the left side. After it downloads, you can double click (or right
click and select open) to open the reader for that file. You can also open a
local file.

Do you suggest me starting the program with the gutenberg panel open?

That thumbnail is probably from the test i did before downloading (the
configuration file saves the downloaded files path, and the image webservice
doesn't depend on the file itself (it tries locally then if that fails tries
remotely), so that might be why you see the image but can double click and
read it. Just ignore that as a config bug.

As for the sound in the linux labs i had some problems with the default
fedora configuration here in the labs - it disabled the sound type the java
api uses (before i modified the soundplayer class it also didn't play if i
used the first line that appeared - the sound lines say they are ready but
they are actually in use and at the level that binding operates i guess
linux doesn't allow mixing. But it's probably something in the sound
configuration panel PCM disabled or something like that - though you don't
loose much, it's just the default freetts voice. I'm going to change to mary
eventually.
http://mary.dfki.de/Download

Also it's sound advice that the actions on the right click menu should be
contextual