[PGCanada] Early Todo List

Michael Hart hart at beryl.ils.unc.edu
Fri Apr 16 09:39:07 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, James Linden wrote:

> We have some needs to address in the near (and/or immediate) future:
>
>   1) Non Profit Organization.
> 	At least one lawyer to help setup the PG of Canada non-profit organization.
> Pro-bono work is pretty much our only option right now. Coming up with the
> funds to register the non-profit, etc is going to be difficult enough.

How much will this cost?

>   2) Lawyer(s).
> 	We need them for continuing work as copyright experts and for copyright
> clearance questions. Again, pro-bono.

We have had amazing luck with heads of law libraries at various universities.

>   3) Logo.
> 	Naturally, we'll probably want to include the standard maple leaf. :-) The
> only idea I've had is to somehow incorporate the printing press (from PG's
> logo), a maple leaf, and something to represent "the future", maybe a gear
> (aka "cog"), or something. We'll want something that will look good online,
> on print matter (posters, letterhead, bookmarks, business cards, etc), and
> on CDs and DVDs.

You could add the maple leaf to the printing press logo in several ways:

1.  Put it on the CD. . .this would be at a stiff angle, and might require
adding a CD that is out of the press.

2.  Put it on the upper frame of the printing press.

3.  Put it on the lower frame.

4.  Superimpose the entire press on an even larger maple leaf.

5.  Superimpose the text of the business cards on a maple leaf.

>   4) Website.
> 	We should get a good website up and running as soon as possible. I don't
> have the time to write a custom CMS, so I'm thinking we should use something
> like PHP-Nuke or Nucleus, or one of the other PHP-based solutions. If there
> is another PHP programmer lurking who is interested in writing something
> custom, speak up, eh?

We might be able to find some people to send you templates to work up from.

[Just ask, and I'll see what I can do]

>   5) Organizational Stucture.
> 	I'm keenly interested in starting with a proper organizational structure
> for PG of Canada. We've seen the ruckus on gutvol-d, etc -- let's avoid
> that, eh?

Obviously, I have that this can be its own problem.

I've seen all too many efforts never get started because they
spent so much energy on how to get started, how to control,
etc., before there was anything there to be controlled. . . .

>   6) Volunteers.
> 	Naturally, PG of Canada will stand on the shoulders of volunteers. If you
> have anything to contribute, post your list of "I'd like to..." to the list.
> Please include some sort of personal intro if you do -- I'd like to get to
> know everyone, and I'm sure everyone would like to get to know you too. If I
> need to post an intro to myself, say so, but as I've been pretty outspoken
> on the PG lists, I'm thinking it's probably not needed. :-p

I'm always happy to help, and to be listed as an anonymous volunteer,
which is the way I signed most of my work for Project Gutenberg.

"There is no end to the great things we can accomplish
if we don't worry about who gets the credit."  - Anon.

>   7) Discussion.
> 	We need plenty of discussion about every aspect of PG Canada.

>    Incidentally, the name is "Project Gutenberg of Canada", aka "PG Canada"
> or "PG of Canada" -- not "PGCA" :-)

I've found that people usually choose the shortest alternative. . . .

Michael