[PGCanada] Gone With the Wind, redux

Wallace J.McLean ag737 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Nov 10 18:15:10 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: dlainson at sympatico.ca
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 7:05 pm
Subject: Re: [PGCanada] Gone With the Wind, redux

> I have two independantly produced copies of GWTW.  My own for PG AU,
> which I blush to say I have no record of the edition used, although
> since it conformed to the life+50 law in CA and AU that may be a
> non-issue

It would be an absolutely terrible, horrible, evil, nasty thing if
people in life+50 (or less) countries, with access to servers
physically located in those countries, were to post copies of a clearly-
PD-in-life+50-countries file of GWTW to said servers.

It would be an absolutely terrible, horrible, evil, nasty thing,
although not nearly as terrible, horrible, evil, or nasty as what
happened to EMI in the Danger Mouse "Grey Album" controversy:

  http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22grey+album%22+copyright+%
22White+album%22&meta=

Countries with life+50 rules -- this is from the web, and don't believe
everything you read on the internets, George Bush will tell you --
include Albania, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia --
well, strike Australia -- Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados,
Belarus, Belize, Bolivia, Benin, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso,
Burundi, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Cuba, Egypt, El Salvador,
Fiji, Ghana, Iceland, Indonesia, Iraq -- under the new copyright law
that the US-led forces have given them -- Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan,
Kenya, (South) Korea, Kuwait, the Kyrgyz Republic, Lebanon, Malawi,
Malaysia, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand,
Niger, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines,
Qatar, Russia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Serbia and
Montenegro, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Syria, Taiwan,
Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Ukraine,
the United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Zambia.

Obviously some of these countries have better internet penetration than
others. However, anyone wishing to host a public domain edition of GWTW
might most likely find soulmates in Argentina, Bulgaria -- they must
have computers, since they have computer viruses -- Canada, Chile,
Iceland, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Serbia and Montenegro,
Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, Ukraine, and the various Caribbean
countries on the list.

Not advocatin'. Not suggestin'. Just informin'.

As you were, troops.