[PGCanada] A bit of everything....

James Linden jlinden at projectgutenberg.ca
Tue Nov 9 15:16:36 PST 2004

Hey list!

Instead of doing to 4 line reply to each topic, I'm going to throw it all in
on here. My apologies for being slow to reply. I'm currently on a working
vacation in Utah, and only getting my email once or twice a day.

I'm James Linden, currently the one trying to get PG Canada going. I have to
say, it's great to see other people on the same side. :-)

Regarding the website:  Currently, the site is hosted by my own company,
located in Barrie, ON. CompuSOLVE are the guys providing my 'net pipe, but
they don't have anything to do with the site or the server it's on. I've not
had a whole lot of time recently to do anything with the PG site, mostly
because I've had to work like mad to make this 4 week trip possible around
contracts, etc. Any ideas/help are great. I do have to point out that I'm
opposed to using ANY of the main PG site. It's been hacked together over the
course of a decade, and is only getting worse. Marcello has been doing a
great job on the site, but has a long way to go.

Regarding non profit: I have not been able to locate a lawyer, so that news
is good news. I'll see what I can do about chipping in to cover the fees.

Regarding backend: I'm very opposed to basing PG Canada on the current PG
system, which does not meet even minimal requirements for cataloging and
does not rely on a master XML document.

If my ideas are too much for the PG Canada group that is coming together
here, I'll step aside and not get in the way. I'd rather learn the
appropriate lessons from PG's experiences, and do something better, which, I
must point out, it not hard.

I realize this information is not complete, and I'll get more thoughts
together ASAP... :-)

Good to see everyone here on the list!!!!!!!

Regards,
 James Linden
 jlinden at projectgutenberg.ca