[PGCanada] Re: [Fwd: Re: !@!Re: PG Canada]

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Tue Nov 9 09:49:52 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Darryl Moore wrote:

> Wallace J.McLean wrote:
>

>> Hosting a PG-Canada in a place that attorns to the jurisdiction of a
>> country with a copyright law different from that of Canada, is like
>> painting a big "Sue Me!" on your ass.
>>
>> If PG was hosted in Canada, Access Copyright would have sued it years ago.
>>

> Quite true. To that end we also must make sure that PG Canada is completely
> separate from PG US, or start a separate organization.

or both!

No reason it should not be a separate organiztion,
still called PG of Canada, presuming you like the
basic tenets of Project Gutenberg.

> This organization must be incorporated, and it should also be a registered
> charity.

I wouldn't WAIT for this to happen, I would get started right away,
strike while the iron is hot!  I ran PGUS from 1917 to 2000 before
we ever got incorporated and registered.

> Don't know how to incorporate, but I found the application for
> charity status here:
>
> http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2050/README.html
>
> Does anyone know the current legal status of PG Canada? Any lawyers here who
> want to help set this up properly?

I can put requests for legal help for you in our Newsletters, etc.

> Additionally, as was mentioned previously offlist, we need to get some people
> in the literary field involved, or at least to lend their names. The bigger
> the names the better. Does anybody know how to contact any big names?

I can probably get you some quotes from Marvin Minsky, Vint Cerf, etc.,
if that would help, not sure how much more they would do. . . .

> I sent an email off to James Linden to try and get some technical information
> about the current project status. Hopefully I'll here back soon. I'll keep
> you posted.

Many thanks!

Michael