[PGCanada] PG Canada Inc!

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Tue Nov 9 14:05:32 PST 2004

Hello list,

I just got off the phone with a lawyer named Don Johnston who is aware
of Project Gutenberg. He agrees that we need a corporation to indemnify
the participants and he is willing to help us create a federally
incorporated charity, pro bono.

Unfortunately there are still costs. While significantly cheaper than
they would otherwise be, they are none the less, significant. He said
less than $1500 all inclusive.

We would need to get some seed money to start. It would be tax
deductible when we get our charitable status. I promise to find at least
$300. Can others do something to put together the balance? If we can get
all this done before year end. We can issue tax receipts for the coming
tax return.

James? Russell? Could we set something up on your respective websites to
solicit money? It will have to be structured as a short term loan as you
can't get charitable tax receipts for money donated before you have a
charity. When we have a bonafide charity however, we can swap paper and
issue tax receipts.

Once we get a basic corporate and technological foundation in place, I'd
say we also approach some of the more progressive publishers and other
businesses in this field for donations.

Hey, this might all become exciting, don't you think!

cheers,
darryl