[PGCanada] Last Call for Web Hosting

Jen Zed jenzed at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 20:37:03 PDT 2005

She shoots...she scores. :)

We need PHP and MySQL; probably 10 GB of space would get us going -
although, if we make page scans available (which I think we should),
the storage requirements will increase a lot. (I'd be willing to kick
in the cost of a drive to help subsidize this when the time comes.)

I'd like to run PmWiki
(http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Requirements), which is powering
our current wiki at http://www.jenzed.com/pgcawiki/pmwiki.php - it's
really lightweight. I'd also like to run a CMS - maybe Drupal
(http://www.drupal.org/), although I'm still not sure if that's the
best fit for PG-CA. Drupal (and probably most CMSs) will require some
"special" MySQL permissions - like the ability for users to do a LOCK
TABLE. (The main reason I've hit the wall with my personal retail web
space provider - and therefore don't know if Drupal will work for us -
is that they won't allow this permission to be granted to users.)

I completely understand your reservations regarding bandwidth. I
suspect and hope, though, that when (if) our bandwidth demands get too
big, it'll mean we're big enough to get sponsors.

thx!

jen.