[PGCanada] First texts for PG Canada

Andrew Sly sly at victoria.tc.ca
Mon Aug 22 11:06:15 PDT 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Wallace J.McLean wrote:

> Is there a database-ready listing of PG and PG-OZ titles? I'd like
> something that I can flip into, say, Excel, with Title, author, and
> pubdate fields, at a minimum.

See: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/offline
for finding gutindex files--which, however, will give
you plenty of challenges if you try to convert them
into a database. (as many have found in the past)
You can also find GUTINDEX.AUS for PG of OZ titles
on that same page.

See: http://www.gutenberg.org/feeds/
for the Project Gutenberg Catalog in RDF/XML Format.
This will require a bit of parsing, and don't be
surprised if you find inconsistancies. As you start
to deal with larger numbers of items, you realize
that concepts such as "Title" and "Author" are not
as simple as you might think.

For PG of OZ, I am not aware of anything more structured
than the gutindex mentioned above. Try taking a look at:
http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty.html

Andrew