[PGCanada] Copyright clearance for PG Canada

Andrew Sly sly at victoria.tc.ca
Sun Jan 16 00:59:33 PST 2005

What a wonderful idea! I never would have thought of that.

What was the term under Canadian rules before 1924?
One source I find online says that the Canadian Copyright Act
of 1875 had a term of 28 years. Even allowing one renewal
period (as in the states), that could mean pre-1924 could
be considered public domain in Canada, if the 1924 changes
were not retroactive... However, this is of course, idle
speculation.

Hmm... I'm starting to wonder it would be beneficial to
make the time to go look through microfilm of old newspapers
from 1924 to see what they might have to say about this...

I would recommend that anyone interested in Canadian copyright history
take a look at an article I stumbled across while searching:

A history of dramatic copyright and performance right in Canada to 1924.
www.lib.unb.ca/Texts/TRIC/bin/get7.cgi?directory=vol22_2/&filename=oneill.html

Andrew