[PGCanada] Canadian copyright for corporations

Wallace J.McLean ag737 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 18 15:38:45 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Sly <sly at victoria.tc.ca>
Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 6:20 pm
Subject: Re: [PGCanada] Canadian copyright for corporations

> Then the question reloves around your use of the phrase
> "the author's identity becomes known". What needs to be
> considered done for that to have happened?

That's why we need to see if there's case law on point, above and
beyond the Copyright Board decision I noted earlier. We have to go back
and look at the current section and its predecessors to see if there is
precedent, and a look at comparable US, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New
Zealand decisions, if any, wouldn't be bad either.

> For the purposes of copyright clearance for PG Canada,
> how much research needs to be done to show that an
> author's name has not been made public?

Can't be definitive, but I'd start with the AMICUS database, the
copyright database, for what it's worth (not much), Google, and the
standard literary reference books. There's another route that may be
required, but I'm not going to post that publicly.

> (Copyright laws that have you trying to prove that
> something has _not_ been done are seldom any fun.)

Any laws that do that...