[PGCanada] if there's anything I can do ...

Andrew Sly sly at victoria.tc.ca
Fri Jan 14 00:18:48 PST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Darryl Moore wrote:

> Regarding James preference for being involved in a non-PG org, my
> personal opinion is that PG has a bit of a reputation and therefore if
> we want to also have some influence in Ottawa it is best we stay a part
> of PG. That being said, I do not think there is any reason we cannot do
> everything James wants to do as PGCanada. (I'm a newby so I could be
> wrong in this assessment)

I think a careful reading of James' messages are in order. Of course,
I can't speak for him, but I believe that he was discussing the status
of the _software_ he had designed, preferring it to be an independant
item possibly used for PG purposes, rather than something with the
PG trademark "attached" to it.

I must admit that, for me, the Project Gutenberg name is part of
the draw. If someone just asked "Hey, I'm gonna make a collection
of marked-up texts, want to help?" I would likely jsut role my eyes
and think "Yet another person reformatting the same old texts?..."

> It is still my intent to work on the legal side of creating this org,
> however my workload in other areas has increased since before christmas
> rather than let up at all. I do have a wiki set up on my home server now
> at www.moores.ca/wiki My intent is to put up all the legal resources
> I've found about setting up a not-for-profit and the draft articles I've
> created for others to review, markup, and comment on, hopefully by the
> week end.

That would be really wonderful. Is there anything the rest of
us could do to help that?

Andrew