[PGCanada] Re: PG-Canada / List of tasks to do

Wallace J.McLean ag737 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 27 16:12:01 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Sly <sly at victoria.tc.ca>
Date: Thursday, January 27, 2005 6:49 pm
Subject: [PGCanada] Re: PG-Canada / List of tasks to do

> I'd suggest that getting content and finding Public domain books
> is not something we need to worry about. Having enough interested
> volunteers to help produce them will probably be more of a challenge.

Having enough volunteers for the PP and later stages is the challenge;
the pre-PP stages won't be a problem.

> As we will be dealing probably largely with post-1922 books
> I don't think it will be too hard to find books that are eligible
> for PG Canada.

I don't either, BUT it would be good to start taking advantage of the
advantages in our law, where they exist, as soon as possible. If we
don't start moving on that front, then legislative changes -- I always
have to go back and strike the word "reform" -- may overtake us.

> I admire the philosophy of letting volunteers do what they
> are interested in, or even just happen to find copies of.
> However, it couldn't hurt to have a list of requested books.

Not at all; I plan on making one!

> Also, if it helps, I've got a large list of Canadian authors
> (or at least from Canadian referance sources) courtesy of
> Philip at the New General Catalog of Old Books & Authors
> http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/ngcoba/ngcoba.htm

Ooohhh.... bookmarked!