[PGCanada] Matters of PG Canada

Jennifer Zickerman jennifer at sxip.com
Tue Mar 8 09:19:45 PST 2005

James Linden wrote:
> Matter #1
>
> I'm officially nominating Jennifer as our Webmaster. I don't have the
> time to get our site running AND get UniBook finished and documented.

I'm happy to take this on unless anyone objects.

> Matter #2
>
> I'm trying to get our dedicated server up tonight or tomorrow. I need to
> know what needs to be installed on box for the wiki software, and
> whatever else we need. Keep in mind that this dedicated box is for our
> work space, not our etext distribution server.

PHP 4.1 (+) and Apache.
(http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Requirements) It's really
light-weight, and uses text files for content storage (which is fine in
a case like ours, where's it's only for storing project management stuff).

> Matter #3
>
> I'm mostly done with the non-technical documentation for UniBook (which
> kinda covers PG Canada too). I'm officially asking for editors and
> people to help me fill in details, explain things better, etc.

I'll help. I think you should off-load as much work as possible so that
you can concentrate on the developer docs.

> Matter #4
>
> For the record, I like what Jennifer has done with the wiki, and I
> support it as a whiteboard tool for us. However, I'd like to see full
> user authentication and control,

I can set that up (tonight, providing I don't run into snags). However,
I don't think I can do auto-generated accounts - they'd have to be
created manually. I don't mind doing this; when we out-grow this
mechanism, we'll come up with something better.

Do you want ACL on viewing and editing, or just editing?

> and have us use it only for drafting
> our site content, not for publically publishing the content.

Strongly agree - the current wiki is just a project management tool, it
won't scale to anything more. I think it's too early to decide on our
publishing platform. However, I think we should add "project management
and planning" to "drafting our site content", as far as the mandate of
the wiki goes. It's really hard to organize a project via mailing lists.

> Matter #5
>
> What is the current status of the various other business and legal
> related endeavors which people 'voluntold' for during our conference call?

If anyone has "documents in progress", please put them up on the wiki.
If you'd prefer, send them to me and I'll take care of it.

jen.