[PGCanada] Ebooks llibres et gratuits

Wallace J.McLean ag737 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Mar 11 10:11:56 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: James Linden <jlinden at projectgutenberg.ca>
Date: Friday, March 11, 2005 12:40 pm
Subject: Re: [PGCanada] Ebooks llibres et gratuits

> Can someone translate?

Ma traduction libre; Coolmicro, je m'excuse de mes fautes de traduction.

Hello,

I’m writing in French for two reasons:

1. I don’t communicate well in English, even if I understand it a
little.

2. I find it unusual that PG Canada isn’t bilingual; where’s Quebec?

I’m the founder of the group Ebooks libres et gratuits, an important
francophone group: http://www.ebooksgratuits.com

We actively collaborate with PG-US : 60 books published in 5 months.
However, we would rather work with a francophone PG Canada, if it
existed: the copyright laws are different in Canada.

On the other hand, I would like to know if the clearance rules for
books for PG Canada are the same as those for PG-US. In PG US, books
are not accepted when we scan a copyright-free text from a recent
edition (to get the clearance, you have to have the title page of pre-
1923 edition.) We therefore have numerous copyright-free texts that
can’t be published on PG-US. Furthermore, we have texts which are only
public domain in Canada (Saint Exupéry, Colette, Maurice Leblanc, for
example).

In addition, our group has begun discussions with members of DP Europe
on the creation of a “PG francophone.” This PG francophone could be a
component of PG Canada, eventually.

That’s all I’ll say, I await the reaction, and I especially look
forward to seeing if there are any francophones in the audience.