[posted] Re: Posted (#22966, Dempsey) !

John Mark Ockerbloom ockerblo at pobox.upenn.edu
Mon Apr 20 09:39:27 PDT 2009

A couple of notes:

The author of this story is better known as Harry Harrison
(Harrison, Harry, 1925-).  I see that the database on
gutenberg.org has picked up on this.

A note on the text says:

"This etext was produced from Analog April 1962. Extensive research did not
uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was renewed."

There was in fact a copyright renewal for that Analog issue (RE0000476619);
however, the claim is limited to "compilation and all editorial material."
So I think Gutenberg is still okay with this text (it does reproduce
the blurb along with the story, but that's short enough to most likely
qualify as fair use), but it might be worth clarifying the copyright
claim in the text.

John