[posted] REPosted(#652, Johnson)

John Mark Ockerbloom ockerblo at pobox.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 1 09:13:14 PST 2013

Just a quick check on this one (and a few other reposts I've seen lately):
is it no longer Gutenberg policy to require
a plain vanilla ASCII version, even if the text is in English?

(I gather
the requirement was dropped a while ago for non-English works, since the ASCII
often isn't very useful, but it generally is for English versions even
if the occasional stray accent mark gets dropped or an mdash changed into
hyphens.)

For what it's worth, the policy is still mentioned at various points on
the Gutenberg site, such as

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:General_FAQ#G.17._Why_is_Project_Gutenberg_so_set_on_using_Plain_Vanilla_ASCII.3F

Unicode is pretty common nowadays, but there are still sometimes problems
with it on older systems, or when files are interchanged over the network
or across systems with different assumptions about character encoding.
So ASCII's nice to have if it doesn't represent a significantly degraded
format.  (It's possible to automatically produce an ASCII version from a Unicode
UTF-8 file, using standard normalization, so it shouldn't require much extra
work.)

John