[posted] Posted(#43367, Drake)

David Price ccx074 at pglaf.org
Tue Jul 30 23:16:22 PDT 2013

Drake's Road Book of the Grand Junction Railway, by James Drake          43367
   [Subtitle: from Birmingham to Liverpool and Manchester]
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/4/3/3/6/43367 ]
   [Files: 43367-0.txt; 43367-h.htm]

Many thanks to UK volunteer Les Bowler who did this for me.

For those wishing to know: James Drake was a publisher in Birmingham
(England) and in 1838, with the railways just starting to take off, he
published this guide and a few others.  Part travel guide, part railway
fares manual etc. it gives a wonderful insight into the times.  Also
included are 40 pages are adverts (mainly from Birmingham) traders - sadly
I don't recognise many names these days.

All the best,
David
England, light rain and warm, overcast