[posted] Posted (#61366, Field) !

Joseph E. Loewenstein, M.D. loewenstein at sssnet.com
Mon Feb 10 18:52:34 PST 2020

Medical Thoughts of Shakespeare, by Benjamin Rush Field
61366
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/6/1/3/6/61366 ]
   [Files: 61366-h.htm; 61366-0.txt; ]
   [Clearance: 20190121073900field]

E-text prepared by Paul Marshall, Turgut Dincer, and the Online
Distributed Proofreading Team (http://www.pgdp.net) from page images
generously made available by Internet Archive (https://archive.org)

For those who want to know, this book is a detailed study of the
medical references in Shakespeare's plays. Shakespeare's knowledge
of medicine clearly was influenced by the medial theories of his
time, most of which were later found to be erroneous. However, his
descriptions of illnesses were highly accurate. For example,
Mistress Quickly's description of the death of Falstaff (_Henry V_,
Act II, Sc. III) is a classic description of hepatic
encephalopathy (liver failure).

All I could find out about the author is that he was a physician and
lived in Pennsylvania. I would guess that he was named after Dr.
Benjamin Rush of Philadelphia, probably the most influential American
physician at the time of the Revolution and one of the three physicians
who signed the Declaration of Independence. Could the author have been a
descendant of Dr. Rush?

Thanks,

Joe