[posted] Posted(#62228, Sikes)

David Price ccx074 at pglaf.org
Mon May 25 13:05:52 PDT 2020

Extracts from "Sikes on Parochial Communion", by Thomas Sikes            62228
   [Subtitle: relating to Episcopacy, and the sin of Schism]
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/6/2/2/2/62228 ]
   [Files: 62228-0.txt; 62228-h.htm]

For those wishing to know: having released an eBook by Sikes a few numbers
back, I felt that I had been a bit hard on him, and the book didn't really
represent his views or paint him in a good light.  I've therefore
transcribed this one which was published in Oxford many years after
Sikes's death, by some high-church clergyman who was no doubt seeking to
ingraciate himself to Rev. Samuel Wilberforce, then the high-church Bishop
of Oxford.  Unfortunately it just confirms my original impression.  Sikes
does, however, seem to have been an inspirer of the Oxford Tractarians and
the pamphlet is very much their views.

All the best,
David
Sunny England with blue skies