[posted] Posted(#62232, Owen)

David Price ccx074 at pglaf.org
Mon May 25 14:46:58 PDT 2020

A letter to a country clergyman, occasioned by his address to Lord Teign 62232
   [Title: A letter to a country clergyman, occasioned by his address to
           Lord Teignmouth]
   [Author: John Owen]
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/6/2/2/3/62232 ]
   [Files: 62232-0.txt; 62232-h.htm]

For those wishing to know: around 1804 Lord Teignmouth, president of the
newly-formed British and Foreign Bible Society wrote to the clergy of the
Church of England, inviting them to join.  This occasioned a public rebuke
from Rev. Thomas Sikes, condemning any society that "tolerated" dissenters
(those not of the Church of England).  This is a very good-humoured reply
to Sikes' pamphlet, which is jolly but takes apart the Sikes pamphlet and
shows why charity is required, not bigotism.  Owen was vicar of Fulham -
hence why I got the pamphlet for transcription (I research the Kensington
area).

All the best,
David,
England at night, but it's still warm