[posted] UNposted (#30387, Ford)

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Sat Jan 2 18:24:50 PST 2010

As a result of a copyright complaint, I have removed #30387 from the
Project Gutenberg collection:

Hand-book for Travellers in Spain and Readers at Home, by Richard Ford   30387

As described below, DP utilized a different print source than the one
that was cleared.  This is a problem, and should not have been done.

The newer print source included an index and new footnotes, which were
not omitted (the new intro was).  I suspect that the internal page
references (which are similar enough to an index to be considered as new
authorship) were also from the 1966 edition, and perhaps other small
updates.

To summarize PG's approach (see
  www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:No_Sweat_of_the_Brow_Copyright ):

 - new indexes get a new copyright
 - new footnotes or inline notes get a new copyright
 - new intro/endnote/commentary get a new copyright
 - revised page numbers do not get a new copyright
 - small spelling changes, or trivial modernization, do not get
    a new copyright
 - large-scale modernization (like from middle english to modern)
    does get a new copyright
 - translation does get a new copyright
 - new images get a new copyright

In order to place this back in the PG collection, we would need to
either (1) start from scratch with the 1845 or 1855 edition, or (2)
carefully compare the 1966 to the earlier edition to make sure that all
modern materials are removed.  To be appropriately duly diligent, a
comparison would need to be page by page.  I would ask pagination to be
changed to reflect that in the 1845/55 edition, not 1966.

If (1) or (2) is is forthcoming, we can hold #30387 as "reserved."  If
not, we will reuse the eBook #.  Will Chuck or someone else at DP let me
know the plan?

Thanks.  Greg

----- Forwarded message from Greg Newby <gbnewby at pglaf.org> -----