[posted] [gutcat] UNposted (#38200, Homer) !

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Tue Oct 16 13:00:25 PDT 2018

Al, WW'ers:

Sorry for the late response. I had corresponded with Larry individually, and should have cc'd gutcat & pgww.

I would prefer to *not* re-use this number, and would like to instead leave #38200 empty.

This is because we get complaints from downstream users of our collection & catalog when we do this type of update.  Many sites (and their users) become confused when we make such changes, and this results in unhappy users, and support requests to our helpdesk (i.e., me).

Since we are not running out of integers, I would rather choose the next number in the ticket sequence for all new eBooks.

In the rare case (which just happened in the last week) that we need to unpost (or change) an eBook within the first few weeks after original posting, I think it's ok to re-use the number.  But longer than a month or so, I would rather unpost withOUT re-using the unposted number.

Other ideas or discussion is welcome.  Thanks,
  Greg