[posted] Language detection error? (Re: Posted (#40466, Sifferath) !)

Al Haines ajhaines at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 11 11:42:36 PDT 2012

A couple of things happened with this one's language.

Nigel says he entered "oj" on the upload form, which I changed to
"Ojibwa".  (I had to figure this out from the uploaded text file.)  BUT,
I forgot to save the change, which left "oj".  I'm guessing (and *only*
guessing) that the posting software saw "oj", didn't understand it, and
put "English", which is what ended up in the catalog.  If I had saved
the change, "Ojibwa" would have been added to PG's list of languages,
and the catalog page correct.

When Nigel informed me of this book's bibrec page showing English, I
tried to correct 40466's language to "Ojibwa", but there's no mechanism
(that I could see) in the catalog back-end software to manually add a
new language.  (You *can* add new authors.)  When I did a wild-card
search (*) to get the full list of available languages, I found "Ojibwa,
Western", and used it.

Hint to DP uploaders: language names should always be written in full.
It saves the WWers from having to figure out, or ask the uploader, what
a code means.

Al