[posted] REPosted (#6739, Gide)

Al Haines ajhaines at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 18 11:55:05 PDT 2012

Helene, according to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Caves_du_Vatican,
this book was published in 1914, which means that it's out of copyright
in the United States.  It's clearly stated on PG's home page, in the
Terms of Use, that:

Our ebooks are free in the United States because their copyright has
expired. They may not be free of copyright in other countries. Readers
outside of the United States must check the copyright laws of their
countries before downloading or redistributing our ebooks. We also have
a number of copyrighted titles, for which the copyright holder has given
permission for unlimited non-commercial worldwide use.

A similar notice is on PGCanada's home page:

Welcome to Project Gutenberg Canada! The ebooks on this website are in
the Canadian public domain, and are offered to you at no charge. If you
live outside Canada, download an ebook only if you are certain that the
book is in your country's public domain. Copyright in Canada generally
lasts until 50 years after the end of the year of the author's death.

Since Gide died in 1951, his works are in public domain in Canada, as
are works by other authors who died in 1961 or earlier.  (BTW--PGCanada
has one of Gide's works, "Retour de l'U.R.S.S.", published in 1936.)

Al