[posted] Posted(#61940, Phillimore)

David Price ccx074 at pglaf.org
Sun Apr 26 06:19:34 PDT 2020

A Sermon: Thou shalt not commit Adultery, by Joseph Phillimore           61940
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/6/1/9/4/61940 ]
   [Files: 61940-0.txt; 61940-h.htm]

For those wishing to know: This is an undated pamphlet, without title page
or other identifying information, bound by Kensington archives many years
ago into a set of works by the Rev. James Phillimore.  If it was by him
(and it's in his "style") then it would be from around 1780 to 1831.
Quite why a minister of the Church of England would preach a sermon on
adultery, let alone print it, I've no idea - the text merely tells people
it's best avoided(!)  Phillimore became vicar of Orton on the Hill, near
where I live and would have laid down the law to some of my ancestors who
lived there.  Hopefully they didn't inspire this topic!

All the best,
David
Very sunny England