[posted] Posted(#64742, Cowan)

David Price ccx074 at pglaf.org
Sun Mar 7 12:20:55 PST 2021

"Hear ye the Rod, and who hath appointed it", by James Galloway Cowan    64742
   [Subtitle: A Sermon for the Fast Day, October 7, 1857]
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/6/4/7/4/64742 ]
   [Files: 64742-0.txt; 64742-h.htm]

For those wishing to know: Another topical sermon from Rev. Cowan
(1828-1875).  Just like every other Church of England clergyman, he had to
give a sermon on the national Fast Day on 7 Oct. 1857, which was called by
the government because of the Indian Mutiny.  Cowan says the mutiny is
judgement from God on Britain, not because we stole another's country, not
because we failed to help India, but because we failed to try and convert
the Indians to Christianity.  At the end he says charity is required: but
it's charity to the English in India.  It was the common sentiment at the
time but it's hard to read it now.

All the best,
David,
Darkest England