[posted] Posted (#64715, Callcott)

David Price ccx074 at pglaf.org
Sat Mar 6 12:08:07 PST 2021

Palm Sunday, by Maria Callcott                                           64715
   [Subtitle: or, Little Mary's Saturday's walk]
   [Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/6/4/7/1/64715 ]
   [Files: 64715-0.txt; 64715-h.htm]

For those wishing to know: this was written by Lady Callcott in 1840 to
help raise funds for some of the projects for the poor within Kensington,
near London, England.  On the surface it's the clergyman's daughter
noticing various plants which are useful in medicine, and her father
explaining explaining how some Palm Sunday traditions came about.  By
today's standards it's cringe-worthy but I'm rather glad lady Callcott was
involved in helping the Kensington poor, and that we see a description of
some of them in this short pamphlet.

All the best,
David,
Cold and damp England